Loading...

Friday, February 16, 2018

PH Gov't To Kuwait "NO DEAL!" Hanggat Bulag Kayo At Hindi Sincere Sa Kapakanan Ng Mga OFW!


advertisements

President Rodrigo R. Duterte demanded to Kuwait to stop the "inhumane treatment" of Filipinos there, and expressed disgust over the death of Filipina domestic worker Joanna Daniela Demafelis, who was found in a freezer in an abandoned apartment in Kuwait.

advertisements
In a press conference Friday night at the Matina Enclaves here, Duterte showed photos of the body of Demafelis from Iloilo, which bore torture marks. He said the body showed indications that she was strangled to death.

Duterte said her body was discovered while authorities were serving an eviction order in an unoccupied apartment in Al-Shaab, Kuwait a few days ago.

In showing the photos, Duterte said he wants to give a "face to the cruelty" of some people and the agony Filipinos working abroad are facing.

He added that 82 deaths were recorded in Kuwait alone in 2016. The number increased to 103 last year.

On Jan. 25, 2017, the President bared that OFW Jakatia Pawa was executed for allegedly killing the 22-year-old daughter of her employer in 2007, a crime Pawa denied up to the day of her execution.

That same day, Duterte said, a Filipino died in a hospital after a severe beating in the hands of her Kuwaiti employer.

Disgusted over these reported incidents of violence, curtailment of freedom and abuse of basic human rights committed against OFWs, Duterte said these compelled him to ask “what we, in government, have been doing all these years to protect and give justice to our helpless sons and daughters, brothers and sisters?”

“Sad to say, it seems that our government is an inutile as our foreign workers are helpless in this present state of things. This is a national shame and yet we proclaim our OFWs the modern heroes of the republic. Our words and action simply do not match,” Duterte said in a press statement he read during the press conference.

In the wake of this development, the President sought the assistance of the Kuwaiti government and all others where there are Filipino overseas workers to end the inhumane treatment of Filipino workers.

The President has upheld the ban of Filipino workers to Kuwait, and asked the Kuwaiti government for "respect for dignity and basic human rights".

The President said the "Filipino is not a slave to anyone, anywhere and everywhere. Every unlawful physical injury that is inflicted on an OFW is an injury that I personally bear as the head of this Republic."

He said the Philippines sends a Filipino worker hale and hearty, determined to work his heart out to give his family a decent and comfortable life in the Philippines.

“Do not give us back a battered worker or a mutilated corpse,” he said.

He pointed out that if the Philippine government is reduced into helplessness "because other governments do not heed our request to protect and give justice to our overseas Filipino workers, then let me say this, both as a matter of personal conviction and national policy, that I am ready to take drastic steps that will help preserve Filipino life and limb".

“We do not intend to offend any government or anyone. But if a ban is what is needed, then let it be so,” he declared. Every abuse committed against an OFW, he said, is an affront against the Philippines as a sovereign nation.

“All that I ask for our overseas Filipino workers is that their dignity is honored and their human rights, upheld and respected,” he said.

Meanwhile, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III, who was also at the press conference, said he recommended to continue the suspension of the processing and issuance of overseas employment certificates (OEC) of Kuwait-bound workers.

Bello said the deployment ban stays as there is also an ongoing investigation on the death of seven OFWs in December and January and the recent death of another Filipina.

To lift the ban, he said, the Kuwaiti government must sign the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that has been pending in the past three years. The MOU provides for additional protection of OFWs in Kuwait.

The President expressed disappointment at how Filipinos are being treated in Kuwait after all the assistance given to the Gulf state at the height of the Iraq campaign that led to its invasion of Kuwait in the first Gulf War of 1990. At that time, Iraq accused Kuwait of stealing Iraqi petroleum through slant drilling.

Duterte recalled that a number of Filipinos composed of Army medical personnel were deployed to the Middle East to provide assistance to Kuwait. In fact, Duterte said three Filipinos were wounded fighting for the cause of peace in the Middle East.

“When we were called upon to help, maintain the balance of power, and preserve, see to it that Iraq stops or there is no Iraq at all and the Kuwait government freed from its headache, we were there for you. And now it’s very sad, very sad that this is what we get in return,” he said.

The President remains hopeful that something good will come out.

“God is good. God is great. He will balance everything sometime, somewhere, somehow. And we will wait for that time. Our only crime is that we are poor," he added.

Duterte stressed the Philippines will no longer be sending Filipinos that will put them in trouble.

“This is a dangerous world. Do not count on us. We will do things the way we believe for the greater interest of this nation,” he promised.

He added that so long as he is President, no country can bring us into trouble.

Source: Youtube
Loading...